Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Monster Playdough

I hope everyone had a safe and sane Fourth of July!  Ours wasn't exactly those things, but no one got hurt. :)


The heat was on yesterday at our house, so I needed an activity to get through those afternoon hours that are too hot to play outside and don't involve electricity.


I decided to make some Kool-Aid Playdough for the boys.  I didn't feel like digging up my playdough recipes, so a quick google search led me to this recipe from http://ecocrazymom.com.  It is simple and quick and yields enough for my 3 to each have a small amount.  I might double it next time.  We chose to do grape Kool-Aid, but any flavor would do.  The only thing I had to add to the recipe was a little more flour during the kneading process- it was still a bit sticky.  After it was cooled and ready, I set out pipe cleaners, craft sticks and googly eyes on the table to create monsters or whatever they were inspired to create.  It turned out to be quite funny.
 B's creation
 My personal favorite.  Creepy!
 N's






Stay cool and have a terrific day!

 Homemade Kool-Aid Playdough Recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid mix
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons oil
Directions:
  1. Mix flour, salt and Kool-Aid in a large bowl.
  2. Add boiling water and oil, then mix with a wooden spoon until a dough ball starts to form.
  3. Once the dough is cool enough to handle knead by hand until you have a nice even color. Hint: Children love helping with the kneading process, it’s a great hand exercise and the warmth of the dough adds additional sensory value!

No comments: